Here are some suggestions for areas that you can make (even temporary) changes to:
- Look at your cellphone expenses. Maybe you could scale back on your plan (do you really need voicemail? Isn’t that what caller ID is now for? Or a text message?). For families, bundling services might be the way to go.
- How high is that heating bill? Perhaps it’s time to lower the thermostat and throw on a sweater, or curl up under a blanket.
- If you spend a lot on eating out, consider making your meals at home. Sure, it may take more time but it’ll save you a lot of money in the long run.
- If your family has two vehicles, think about reducing to one and making use of public transit. If you’re not quite ready to sell your car but want to save some cash, you can always put it on parking insurance which is a fraction of the price.
- Have a child in a number of extra-curricular activities? Sit down and discuss which of them they like the least.